Monday, June 11, 2007

Wow that felt great!

well first and formost it was incredibly satisfying to end up in 4th overall after such a hellish race!! i know it may not have been as hot as last year but it was enough for me and three laps.
I made sure this race to get out front and put it down for the first lap. it started right out with me and clayton following three cats. clayton pulled for the first half of the first lap. i took over and i think clayton dropped somewhere before the nasty climb before manhandler.
We passed one of the 3 and the other flatted. During all this a peace coffee guy which i think i took by like 4 places last week moved onto our tail. he moved in front of us while clayton was pulling and i even told clayton to not worry about him he will fade. um no he didnt lol.
The lead guy was long gone and nowhere to be found. so it seemed a battle for 2nd and 3rd. During the secound lap he pulled in front of me and i let him have it why not draft i thought. well that was my big mistake of the race. i let him decide the tempo i stayed behind him all the way to man handler even though he even offered to let me pass well before then. if i had i woud have rode my race and made him adjust his tempo to catch me. bummer im not sure how it would have ended up but i suspect things could have changed.
during our constant battle a nature valley 19-29 rider just plain blew past us on the big hill neer the 24 hour of afton start/finish area. he kinda turned it up a notch somewheres behind us and damn we didnt have a chance.
So there ya have it. afton alps continues to be the hardest race all year hot and nasty, and All i know was riding thru the pain and discomfort of that awful race got me the spot it did.
pa pow.

No comments: