Tuesday, June 12, 2007

race week, phase two

so I got myself out to the first of the summit series at dakota tech this evening.. there were about 25 riders in the masters 3,4,5 race. I recognized a couple of riders, including Joe Hamlin from silver cycling.. big strong guy who can sprint .. it was a ten lap race with two primes.. enough wind to discourage breaks. nonetheless, I had to chase down a couple of guys (including Hamlin) early. There were a few teams well represented including spbrc, loon state, silver.. anyhow, one silver guy out front on the first prime lap, I bridged up, and no one followed.. weird. I drafted the dude until the last corner, and easily took the prime. He tried to get me to keep going, but I was pulling my water bottle out of my back pocket for some hydration. It was 90 degrees.. so then I'm back in the back for the next couple of laps until a couple guys try to get away again. I bridged up. We dropped one , and so another hollywood rider was dragging me to the finish line again. I'm starting to like these guys ! .. anyhow, he was more ready than his team mate and held me off at the line for the second prime. I'm back in back, and finishing my water.. about 4 laps left.. pace is up and down, with most of the pack still in the race. two laps to go and a little jump. I get on Hamlins wheel and won't let anyone take it away. 1 lap to go and another hollywood dude drifts off the front. I jump and again nobody answers. So hollywood #3 is again leading me out. I look behind and we have about 100 yards.. might be enough. with a couple corners left he's still cranking away , and I'm watching behind.. starting to hear the wheels of the group, but with the corners coming up, I'm sitting pretty. around the last corner I swing wide, and I see the front of the group on the inside. I think I have a chance at passing my lead out dude , but he's just ahead of me and I'm not gaining after I get to about his saddle.. at the line Hamlin catches me and takes second place by about 1/2 wheel.. the judges have a hard time scoring anything lower than 4th place because we first 3 were so tight.. great race ! next week, we should all get out there, it's a really fun place to race. I brought home 10 bucks too ! ... so that's a first place last thursday (buck hill) .. 2nd place sunday (afton) third place tonight.. I'm really on a downward track. Speaking of track, race week concludes with thursday (if it doesn't rain) and saturday evenings at the ncs. SERIOUSLY it would be a great place to ride as a team out at dakota tech. check the calendar.. we could all do the cat 3,4,5 race.. late,r

No comments: