Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Maplelag or How to crash 3 times in the last 2 miles of a race



Well I finally did it, I posted a notch in the win column.
The race started out great for me, I was in the lead going into the first section of single track, and managed to bungle it all up in the first corner loosing 2 spots. I was then passed by another rider on some fast fire trails who immidiately went into the lead.
Approaching the split where the expert/semi pro/ pro riders do the lakeside drop I had 2 riders in front of me , joel cheering me on and telling me they had 12 seconds on me. I slowly worked my way up to the rider in front of me, at about mile 3, on a fast descent with narrow path he crashed in front of me and I thought about riding over him, but decided not to. at this point we are just before the base of suicide hill, the long steep climb on the course. I hammer up the hill passing my compatriot. All goes well the rest of the lap and I am slowly catching the leader. At the feedzone I am all but 8 seconds back according to joel.
I catch the rider in front of me on suicide hill and tear past him into the single track. Everything seems to be going well for me, I have a decent lead and bam, I catch sight of the guy behind me. So I loose my cool, crash 3 seperate times, and let him get right up on me. with 1.5 miles to go it's mostly wide open trails with 1 section of single track left, i hammer as hard as I can, which no longer feels very fast, get to the feedzone, look back and I am completely alone. I zip up my jersey and score my first victory. It was truly sweet.
Turns out the guy I beat was a local rider celebrating his birthday. Happy Birthday Steve!!! He should feel satisfied in knowing that I puked my guts up 2 after the race, I gave it my all and my body rejected all substanance. That made for a painfully fun 230 mile drive home. mmmm vomit.

1 comment:

paul said...

YEAH BABY !